Check out the ArtikPix YouTube channel.
*On 9/25/10, ArtikPix was updated as a universal app optimized for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Now, you can try the free version on all your iOS devices, then decide what decks you want to buy.
ArtikPix (iTunes link) is an engaging articulation app with flashcard and matching activities for children with speech sound delays. Since the app includes child friendly language, you don’t have to be a speech-language pathologist to facilitate practice. Children use ArtikPix to practice sounds independently, with a speech-language pathologist or their parents.
Utilizing fun and modern graphics, ArtikPix has a deck of “th” cards with features such as recorded audio, voice recording, and data collection. In app purchases enable all features with a total possible 21 decks with 40 cards each (840 total cards) for the following sounds: th, f, v, ch, sh, k, g, s, z, l, r, s-blends, r-blends, l-blends, p, b, m, n, t, d, j. The decks are combined, selected for sound group (e.g., beginning th, er), then practiced in full-featured flashcard and matching activities.
In the flashcard activity, the sound groups are ordered and configured for shuffling to individualize practice for children. The flashcards are then practiced in an easy-to-use flick album. In the matching activity, the words are randomized in easy (3 pairs), medium (6 pairs), and hard (10 pairs) levels. The matching activity is a fun way for children to practice their speech sounds while data is still collected.
The flashcard and matching activities include the following features:
• combine card decks and specify ordering
• choose sounds groups (e.g., beginning th, er) to practice
• color coded cards
• auto-play of audio recordings
• tap-to-play audio
• record your voice and play the voice recording
• collect data by tallying for specified sound groups (e.g., beginning th, er)
• tallied data is automatically converted to percentage based data
• save data in the app with timestamp
• copy data to clipboard, email, and Google Spreadsheet
• configurable options for app sounds (e.g., audio recordings) and visuals (e.g., hide matched cards, unmatched card delay)